Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Alternative to the Dominant Culture

Walter Brueggemann wrote: ""[The prophet's task is] to nurture, nourish, and evoke a consciousness and perception alternative to the consciousness and perception of the dominant culture." In my understanding this means Jesus preached, taught, and acted counter to the dominant culture. Following Jesus means figuring out a "Jesus Way" in our actions.

Placing this action in the context of gun violence prevention, a Jesus Way is to pray upon, reflect upon and act upon Jesus' two clear comments on weapons. 

The first is Jesus telling his disciples what to take with them when they are "sent out": "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one.... They said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' He replied, 'It is enough.'" (Luke 22:35-38) The second is Jesus in Gethsemane: "Then one of [the disciples] struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus said, 'No more of this!' And he touched his ear and healed him." (Luke 22:50-51)

At the very least, Jesus is placing limits on the use of weapons in the first example. Discipleship is not by the sword. The second example has Jesus criticizing the use of the sword and siding with the victim. The Jesus Way is enhanced by healing and nonviolence. Jesus will embrace violence upon himself and not do onto others. Likewise is discipleship.

Jesus' actions are counter to the weapons habits of the dominant culture. Christians, followers of Jesus, are freed and called to act opposite of societies gun culture by insisting upon limits and or elimination of dependence upon guns as solutions. The Christian way is an alternative way. 

I composed a song to lift up this alternative way. It is called "It is Time".

CH: It is time, it is time, it is time to say enough
It is time to say no more
It is time, it is time, it is time to get tough
It is time, it is time to restore

Too many children, too many innocents feel the sting of lead.
Too many workers, too many students lay in the ground cold dead. (CH)

Second Amendment, twisted abused, I've got my rights to put you in my sight.
Regulations, blindly refused, because I've got my rights. (CH)

Purchasing weapons like candy in a store, background checks for some.
But if you're hazy or ethically shady, private sale and mum. (CH)

I've got my right to stand my ground, make my day, protect my life.
I've got my freedom to shoot a few rounds, justifying strife. (CH)

Life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, are not they a right?
Freedom to love, free to be my best, free from hate and fright. (CH)

Safety for ALL, freedom for ALL, joyous life for ALL.
Friends with each other, sisters and brothers, gentle like a feather. (CH)

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment