Time for Action
"In all toil there is profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."
Criticism of the NRA ought be focused on its corporate leadership channeling its financial resources to influence legislative actions. Its purpose is to promote the fraudulent abuse of the Second Amendment and obstruction of nearly all common sense gun violence prevention legislation, even that supported by its own rank and file membership, to the detriment of the general welfare.
How can this abuse be addressed? How can the Church engage this life concern? I would suggest that in order that progress be profitable and transforming, there need be talk and action. Profit in this context is greater safety for all. What follows is a plan for talk and action.
A Conversation and Invitation to Common Sense Gun Violence Prevention Action
To open up conversation and challenge involvement towards
common sense gun violence prevention
1. WELCOME-STATEMENT OF PURPOSE-CIVILITY COMMITMENT
2. DEVOTIONAL FOCUS: Song- (ELW-720 "We Are Called") - Litany-Prayer
centering on Romans 12:2, Matthew 5:9, Luke 19:41-44, Philippians 4:8,
Luke 22:38, and Luke 23:51.
3. OPEN SHARING: Knowing that the focus of this event was gun violence prevention,
what specific concerns brought you here?
4. SHARING ON A PRIME GUN VIOLENCE EVENT DURING YOUR LIFE THAT
FOCUSED YOUR ATTENTION.
5. REVIEW OF ELCA CHURCHWIDE POSITIONS ON GUN VIOLENCE
6. GUN VIOLENCE FACTS: STATE-NATIONAL-INTERNATIONAL/Review of
gun ads in magazines and online
7. NRA FACTS AND POSITIONS: Safety programs, corporate influence, marketing,
and character stories
8. REVIEW OF SECOND AMENDMENT AND ADDITIONAL CONSTITUTIONAL
9. PRESENTATION OF PROTECT MINNESOTA GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION
10. OPEN CONVERSATION ON ABOVE EXPRESSIONS AND DEVELOPMENT OF
GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION ACTIONS
11. INVITATION TO ACTION: Legislative research meetings, phone calling, letter
writing, hosting an ENGAGE event, signing pledge cards, visiting legislators
12. SENDING: Prayer and song ("It is Time")
It is important to frame the conversation Biblically and ecclesially. We are the church, meaning we engage life through the Trinity and our Confessions, which lead us to engage and partner with life changing political actions for the good of all. The chorus of "It is Time" sings:
It is time, it is time, it is time to say enough
It is time to say, "No more!"
It is time it is time, it is time to get tough
It is time it is time to restore
If any are interested in the full details of ENGAGE, I would be happy to send them online. Write me at: email@example.com.
It is time!