Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Committed Life-A Report Card

Towards the end of his life, Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "I just want to leave a committed life behind". A young woman told me about her boyfriend, plaintively, pleadingly, and somewhat impatiently: "I'm looking for a ring"! She had been going with the young man for over three years. It seems she was looking for a high level of commitment! Then the song with the line: "What am I living for, if not for you"?

What are my commitments? What are focused commitments for the Christian? What commitments are worth the ultimate price? A man in our Tuesday morning Bible study put it this way: "There is a price to pay when you set your jaw".

In my work as interim pastor, through research and experience, I have formulated "The Fine Nine" characteristics of a committed life for personal and congregational renewal. Each person in the congregation is asked to take the inventory. I share it with you. For each category, give yourself a number: 1 is low, 5 is high.

CONNECTION: I socialize with others, friends, and neighbors: 1 2 3 4 5
FAMILY: I spend time beyond quality time, contributing to the nurturing of our
family: 1 2 3 4 5
WORSHIP: I worship as part of a congregation: 1 2 3 4 5
LEARNING: I read, study, educate myself: 1 2 3 4 5
WITNESSING: I bear public witness of my faith, inviting others to worship, to be part
of a faithful community: 1 2 3 4 5
VOLUNTEERING: I share my time to serve others: 1 2 3 4 5
CHARITY: I give money and goods to help the poor: 1 2 3 4 5
PEACE AND JUSTICE: I address the structures creating injustice and stirring violence,
by marching, writing letters, joining social change groups, being
part of a movement: 1 2 3 4 5
PHYSICAL EXERCISE: I regularly exercise, work out: 1 2 3 4 5

The character of our commitments reveal the quality of our lives. To all of us who are trying to live a Christian life, a bit of inventory and introspection may be helpful. I recall Paul in his letter to the Philippians: "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling"! Uffda! Sounds like commitment and reflection.

By the way, I am still working on my numbers!

Peace!
Ron

1 comment: