Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Praying for a Great speech!

I'm praying for a great speech!

I have been reading Speeches That Changed the World, compiled by Owen Collins. Since President Obama is giving a major speech on health care this Wednesday, I thought it timely to read some speeches that had "gravitas" because it is my hope and prayer that the President delivers a great speech that changes the world, or at least our nation.

Reading these speeches and realizing the events that followed their delivery, it is easy to conclude that great speeches do have an effect. Great speeches set a tone, establish a moral focus, give direction, provide personal leadership, and inspire courage.

Some examples. Martin Luther at Worms: "Unless I am convicted by scripture or by right reason (for I trust neither in popes nor in councils, since they have often erred and contradicted themselves)- unless I am thus convinced, I am bound by the texts of the Bible, my conscience is captive to the Word of God, I neither can nor will recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to act against conscience. Here I stand. God help me. Amen". Thus began the Protestant Reformation. Sojourner Truth, speaking on 28 May, 1851: "Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could lead me! And aint I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man-when I could get it-and bear the lash as well! And aint I a woman?" Sojourner fired one of the first salvos towards women's rights and equality. It took some time, but today women are on that train and the train keeps building power! Lincoln in his Second Inaugural Address: "With malice towards none; with charity towards all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive...to bind up the nations wounds; to care for him who shall have born the battle, and for his widow and for his orphan...." Reconstruction and a slow but steady healing. RFK, speaking to a crowd in Detroit following the assassination of MLK, Jr., quoting the Greek poet Aeschuylus: "Let us tame the savageness of Man, and make gentle life in the world". There were no riots in Detroit that night. Gandhi, 23 March 1922: "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good". Mother Teresa: "Human life is a gift of immeasurable worth, and that it deserves, always and everywhere, to be treated with the utmost respect and dignity". The sanctity of life is upheld. Churchill: "We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence....We shall never surrender". Victory! Then there are Jesus, MLK, Jr., Susan B. Anthony, Chief Joseph, Frederick Douglas, Barbara Jordan, and....

Speeches that changed the world!

I'm ready for another great speech tomorrow night. A speech that can change health care for future generations; a speech of such moral persuasion that what is right for ALL people is enacted. I do not care if all people agree with it, if the right-wing crazies like it, if the "deathers, birthers, and wackos" sign on, if it silences Rush and Glenn, if the "bluedogs" nod in agreement on all aspects. I am hoping and praying for a speech that is proper for justice for all, so that ALL people can receive health care that is their right, that compassion can become a national conviction, that love and politics can work together, that what is justly humane be passionately announced, that mercy stand-up and step-up in unquestioned, non-nuanced language, that there be fire in Barack's eyes, that our leaders be challenged to exercise courage for generosity, for the sake of those beautiful words, "We the people".

I'm praying for a great speech! I'm praying for a national transformation to the good!

Peace!
Ron Letnes

No comments:

Post a Comment